You know, it has been a long and trying few years for Alabama football fans. the kind of years that make you appreciate the boring brand of football Gene Stallings had us playing when he was here. It wasn't fancy, or compelling, or even that interesting. It was just...effective. It was winning football. It was beating Vandy 20-10.
The last few years, there have been many false hopes that Bama was back. Plenty of times I talked myself into thinking that Alabama could make a run to the SEC championship, or believing we were a top 10 team. I think about 2005 when we started 9-0, but in the back of my mind, knowing that LSU and Auburn would probably beat us. That our record was a product of Urban Meyer's 31-3 growing pains, and Fulmer having a down year, alongside some good luck on our part. Things had to break right for us to have any chance at actually going to a BCS bowl and competing with USC or Oklahoma. We would have to be lucky.
Well, Coach Saban...you have finally done it. Yesterday, I gave no thought to which Bama shirt I was wearing. Today I changed my desktop image from a Celtics picture to the Tide players celebrating the UT spanking. It's not about the little superstitions anymore (although, I'll probably leave nothing to chance next weekend or for the Iron Bowl). Today the BCS rankings will put us at number 1, and it is not a fluke. It's not a product of luck, or Fulmer's down year again, or any "external factors" (a Saban staple at any press conference). Sure, Texas had to lose. But Alabama had to win too. They've been winning. 17-14 against Kentucky. 24-20 against Ole Miss. 29-9 against the hated Volunteers. It isn't always sexy (rarely is actually). But it is a revelation! It is unbelievably exciting for me. I have thirsted for this type of success, and it's here!

Don't misunderstand. I'm not declaring us the best in the land, the rest of the season will determine whether or not Alabama is actually #1. What I'm saying is that I'm celebrating our rightful place in the discussion again. We belong, and are legitimately talking about a national championship. LSU could beat us. Florida could most definitely beat us. Auburn should not, but I don't want to talk about them. The point is this: I never expected this to happen this year. One year ago, LSU was in this position coming to Tuscaloosa. We're now the favorite in their place. This is a classic case of playing with house money. SEC championship, BCS bowl, national championship...that would all be gravy for me at this point (although I'd be heartbroken if we lost in the way Texas lost last night). I'm remembering the lean years and just enjoying the conversation right now. In two years, I won't be doing that. I'll be expecting to compete every year for a BCS championship. But for right now, I'll hoist a glass to "the sunny slopes of long ago" under Gene Stallings and his boring dominations have returned under a new regime...a Nicktatorship that will hopefully be in power for a long time.
In honor of Alabama's return to the number 1 ranking, I'll leave you with my favorite video they play on Saturdays at the stadium.
Welcome back, Bama. I promise not to take you for granted again.


1 comment:
Alabama coach Nick Saban, whose team plays LSU on Saturday, on anyone who is thinking of asking questions about his stint as LSU coach from 2000-05: "It's going to be about our players and about our team. I don't care how hard anybody tries to make it about something else, it's not going to be. I'm kind of giving you a little forewarning. If somebody wants to get a you-know-what chewing this week, that'll be a good way to get it." [WWL.com]
Post a Comment