4.12.2010

Wonderful Weekend

Oh Monday, you are not as fun as Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Thus, more weekend highlights:

Mini BLTs
Kent and I attended a friend's wedding this weekend. It was a beautiful ceremony, rocking reception, and general good time with lots of friends. One of the most memorable features of the wedding though....mini BLTs, or for the non-obsessive (bite-size bacon, lettuce, and tomato). This is more than just reception food. While planning our wedding, almost 2 years ago, Kent and I tried the mini BLTs at a tasting and fell in love instantly. They were at our wedding, but as most married couples know, we hardly ate anything at our reception. We talk about those mini BLTs all the time and wish we'd had them when we had the chance.

Flash to this weekend: because I know way too much about weddings, I knew that our friend was using the same caterer we used. Imagine our excitement at the prospect of our favorite wedding snack. Imagine our joy at finding trays filled with the tiny treats. Imagine our shame at eating far more than our allotment by the end of the night. Amazing.


Prom-tastic Friday
All week, I'd been dying to go out to dinner. In the interest of saving money, we held out until the weekend, and by that point I was so excited for our dinner date. We decided on a place called Michael's, one of our new favorites because they make those awesome skinny french fries. It has good atmosphere and is perfect for sophisticated adults like ourselves. Who knew that Friday night was prom night for one of the area high schools? EVERY table in the restaurant was filled with tuxedos of ALL colors, sparkly dresses, and lots of self-portrait picture taking. I immediately felt 100 years old. Kent and I ended up eating at the only viable seat...the bar, with a bird's eye view of all the adolescent adrenaline. We made a few jokes, reminisced about high school memories, wished we'd been together back then, watched a weird man talk to random strangers at the bar, and yes, feasted on skinny fries.
It was great :)

If only we'd seen this....

Homemaking
As described in the previous post, we're all about our yard lately. The warm weather has done something to our brains. I'm obsessed with watering our plants every day when I get home (with my nifty new watering can that Kent got me). Kent is masterful at digging up ugly plants and replacing them with our little seedlings. It's been so much fun, and we love checking on them every day to see if anything has grown. Progress is slow, but our yard already looks SO much better. And the neighbors are probably relieved that the pile of leaves on our curb is finally gone after months. Aren't those supposed to just disintegrate into the ground after a few weeks? All of this yard work has gotten us thinking about other house projects, and while we may not be able to do them all at once, it's fun to dream and get to work at making our house more homey....more "us."

So, there is my random weekend recap. This may be a record-sized post for me! A new start, hmm? I'm trying to make peace with the blog.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Mmmm, mini BLTs. I was definitely a fan of those, and I probably ate the ones you didn't have a chance to eat at your reception!