9.21.2008

Scattered Thoughts


Here's some things to marinate on during the greatest sports weekend in recent memory:

Even as Dana and I work our way through the last season of the Sopranos (and neither of us have seen it before), I still prefer The Wire.  I know the thought here would be to say, "He's just trying to be different and elitist..."  It's not.  We just finished Season 1 of the latter and it is freaking brilliant.  This is coming from a mafia junkie whose favorite movie is The Godfather and wishes he could be a captain in one of the Five boroughs...fuhgeddaboutit.  But The Wire is as good as anything I've ever watched on TV.


I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with Alabama football.  I've fully expected them to go into the Georgia game undefeated (at least after I watched Terrence Cody eat Clemson's children), and now that we're here...I'm fighting "the feelings."  You know the ones...where you let yourself get carried away thinking you have a shot to topple an obviously superior opponent in an impossible situation.  Then when reality sets back in, it hurts extra bad.  I've become an expert at managing my feelings for the Tide but here comes Nick Saban with his olive-oil skin and perfect verbiage of what it takes to be a champion.  Aw screw it, Bama by 10 between the hedges!!!

While we're here, the last time Alabama beat Arkansas so soundly at Fayetteville was 2002, when we also beat the crap out of UT and LSU on the road (the LSU team was coached by Saban).  
Of course, we then lost our coach in the middle of the night after he phoned it in against Auburn and began the golden age of suckiosity here in T-town.


Ok, I'll stop.

I can't decide what made me happiest yesterday, Bama taking Arkansas to domination station, or watching Phil Fulmer trying to eat his hat on the sidelines as the Vols were kicking the ball around inside the 5-yard line.  It's the age old question:

Do I hate UT more than I love Alabama?


I kinda wish I'd gotten to see a game before they tore down Yankee Stadium.  I guess they want to erase any memories of this year that they have.


The new Pacino and DeNiro movie was more than disappointing.  Perfect storm of high expectations because of their names fighting against two 60-year-old guys rolling around on the floor and pretending to still be tough guys.  I'll take that 5 minutes in Heat over that entire 2 hours.  They should have just made an Italian version of Grumpy Old Men instead.


The Ryder Cup is awesome...I wish they held it on a weekend when I wasn't so pre-occupied with college football.  Booooooo!!!!!


10 years of Lebowski this year.  And there is some great stuff about it at Rolling Stone. 

I read the Buscemi interview and he said that there was some people who suggested that Donnie was just Walter's imaginary friend.  And it almost works out except for my favorite exchange in the movie:  


Donnie - Your phone's ringin, Dude.

The Dude - Thank you, Donnie.


Other than that, no one but Walter acknowledges him throughout the whole movie.

So many layers...


I'll catch you later on down the trail, until then, Take 'er easy, Dude...I know that you will.  



-KJ


1 comment:

Ben said...

UK-Alabama will be the CBS featured game, 2:30 kickoff. We're drawing a line in the sand, Dude. Across this line, YOU DO NOT!