2.15.2009

Top 5 Movie Speeches

I took this one pretty serious.  I think it is because when you hear a good speech in a movie, it gives you goosebumps, and when something gives you goosebumps, you know it's special...or cold.  I thought about just throwing out 5 of these randomly that were good, but they need more organization than that.  A good dramatic speech comes in a few predictable forms: 
-before the big game in a sports movie (Hoosiers), "I love you guys...TEAM!"
-before a big battle in a war/military movie (Braveheart), "They'll never take our freedom!"
-in a classroom setting from a rogue teacher (Dead Poets Society), "Carpe Diem, boys"
-in a courtroom (A Time To Kill), "...Now imagine she's white."
-in a boy gets the girl back scene (Jerry Maguire), "You complete me." 
-a stock broker/sales movie where the boss rallies the subordinates to action (Wall Street), "Greed is Good, greed is right."
-Political speech in any movie about politics (The American President) "My name is Andrew Shepard and I AM the president."
-or just any Al Pacino movie because he's the king of this category as you'll see. "I'll show you out of order!"

As you can see, the categories outnumber the slots so I'll have to let others (are you ladies alive, or just fundamentally opposed to the top 5?) fill in their faves.  These are in no particular order.  And watch out for the language, sorry.

5.  The speech at the beginning of Patton by George C. Scott.  The movie is good, but that speech is the apex of the movie and it comes in the first 5 minutes.  Tell someone your dad's age that you know this movie and they will be your best friend and spend the next 20 minutes quoting it and talking about it.


 4.  Coffee is for Closers in Glengarry Glen Ross.  Not exactly inspiring, but pretty awesome nonetheless.  I find it interesting that we haven't seen Alec Baldwin as anything but comic relief in years when he's got the ability to do things like this.  Also, I once read that Ben Affleck was the new Alec Baldwin.  At first I dismissed this, but I keep coming across examples of where he blatantly rips Baldwin off (Boiler Room speech is a poor man's version).  Also, in what universe is Baldwin superior to Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, and Jack Lemon?

  
3.  The "inch by inch" speech in Any Given Sunday.  The movie is average at best but this speech is worth the rental (or save the $4.50 and just watch it here).  Halftime of the championship game, and the team is predictably down a few points, bring in Al and he will rouse the team into a frenzy.  The last time I watched this speech, I got so pumped up I punched my aunt in the face.  Not really, but you can imagine what it would be like if I had...



2.  The big speech in Lean on Me before East Side High's students take their standardized tests.  Morgan Freeman had about 20 great speeches in this movie, and while this one isn't probably as good as the others on this list, the movie had too many good ones to not be included. 


 1.  Al's back, and this is his best.  Pacino is the Barack Obama of movie stars and always delivers the great speech no matter the caliber of movie.  Of course, this movie is just scene after scene of Pacino just killing it, culminating in this explosive speech.  Never tell Al that he's out of order.




5 comments:

Lynn said...

I don't want to burst your bubble, but teaching isn't anything like "Lean on Me" or "Dead Poet's Society." I'll have to write a blog on what it's really like...

Camille said...

I have my top one movie speech - so good I don't even have to do a whole list...Westley's "To the Pain" speech to Prince Humperdinck in the Princess Bride - classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKl28Qtc4nI

Sarah Beth said...

I am a little sad that this is the first I have seen of this blog...being a blogger myself...I am adding you to my favs. I will be back with a great speech!

Sarah Beth said...

Ok this was pretty interesting some of my favorite movies don’t necessarily have great “speeches” but here are some great ones that came to mind (I had to throw in a couple “girly” movies because they ARE worthy):

Sally Field – Steele Magnolias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EjNa8Ukg_0&feature=PlayList&p=5F5D4F37C7A037A5&playnext=1&index=27

It must be said that when Michael first saw this speech a few months ago he said “Did Sally Field get an award for this?” – She was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Ryan Gosling – The Notebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJnIuBl3RL0&feature=related

I know it is such a romantic movie but this entire movie gave me the chills and makes you fall in love all over again…it is definitely worthy for a shout out.

Robyn Williams – Good Will Hunting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws66aAdthE0

This entire movie is basically just a string of great speeches but this one took the cake in my opinion.

Jack Nicholson – As Good As It Gets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cil3p55z4&feature=PlayList&p=565C4A0D491EEB90&playnext=1&index=15

Will Patton – Remember the Titans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5QXV-W5_g&feature=PlayList&p=8A01A2D0F5D13B10&index=0&playnext=1

Also I agree with your Al Pacino pick I loved "Scent of A Woman"

Ben said...

Others:

--The "Goodnight, sweet prince" speech from The Big Lebowski

--The "If I can change..." speech from Rocky IV

that's all I got from the top of my head.